“The most powerful predictor of kids that thrive is parental self-understanding.”
– Dan Siegel, Interpersonal Neurobiologist
Parenting is one of the few things in life that equalizes us. We all start out as beginners. We all want to be the best we can be for our children. We want to give them everything life has to offer.
Yet we are constantly faced with confusing moments. We aren’t always sure how best to respond to complex situations. We have our child’s best interests in mind, but we might not know what to do. With so many different views about parenthood, we might not know where to turn to for support and guidance.
I provide a safe space for parents to explore their thoughts / feelings /impulses / reactions, deepen understanding of themselves and to give voice to the struggles they encounter along the way. I find it incredibly fulfilling to work with parents as they think about who they are as parents, how they would like to be with their children, and what comes up in the way of their most hoped for vision of themselves as parents. As John Firman once said, “What’s in the way, is the way.” Often what parents need most is for someone to listen to them with non-judgmental awareness as they explore what’s in the way of their ideal vision of parenting.
And as Patty Wipfler from Hand in Hand Parenting writes, “When you give another person your full, warm attention, you help their body and their mind move toward better functioning.” As I listen non-judgmentally to parents, and support them with their vision of parenting, I find over and over again that it helps them restore a sense of their own goodness, which gives them the hope to try again and the emotional regulation to implement their new approach.
In addition to listening to parents with compassion, I also provide parents with practical tools, parent coaching and a variety of resources.
WATCH THESE VIDEOS ON MINDFUL PARENTING by Jaclyn Long:
- “Mindful Approach to Positive Discipline” – Danielle Seybold & Jaclyn Long
- “Three Hindrances to Effective Limit Setting” – Jaclyn Long
- “Self-Compassion for Moms” – Jaclyn Long
- “Keep Your Cool With Your Kids (6 part series)” – Jaclyn Long
WATCH THESE VIDEOS ON PARENTING & COMMUNICATING WITH YOUR PARTNER by Jaclyn Long:
- “Challenges Partners Face When They Have Kids” – Jaclyn Long
- “Partner Communication Tools” – Jaclyn Long
ADDITIONAL PARENTING RESOURCES:
- The Art of Roughhousing – Larry Cohen
- The Aware Baby – Aletha Solter
- The Developing Mind – Dan Siegel
- Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting – Kabat-Zinn
- The Explosive Child – Ross Greene
- Hand in Hand Parenting –offers practical tools for dealing with emotional moments, anxiety, aggression, separation, shyness, and much more through articles and workshops, and free audio tracks for new parents
- Listen – Patty Wipfler & Tosha Schore
- No-Drama Discipline – Dan Siegel
- Positive Discipline – offers 52 tools for disciplining children effectively, without yelling or spanking, to improve connection and cooperation; workshops, articles and books
- The Whole Brain Child – Dan Siegel
- Parenting From the Inside Out – Dan Siegel
- Playful Parenting – Larry Cohen
- When Your Kids Push Your Buttons– Bonnie Harris